Maintenance Procedures - BambooNecessary steps for the long term performance of your FERMA bamboo flooring:
- Vacuum the floor frequently to eliminate the presence of solid particles (such as sand) which may damage and/or scratch the floor. Use of rugs or mats at all entrances. Removal of dirt and grit before it gets on the floor is best. Shake out and wash rugs and mats as necessary.
- Routine maintenance would include not only sweeping but vacuuming and dust mopping. Caution: Do not use a treated dust mop. (Mop treated with silicone, wax or other treatments may damage your wood floor finish) Never wet mop a bamboo floor as excess water may harm bamboo floor and could cause premature wear. Wet mopping will void your warranty.
- Use of felt protectors under chairs or furniture is recommended. When moving heavy furniture (fridge, piano, etc.), place a thick rug underneath furniture legs before moving.
- Check shoes regularly as a protruding nail from a worn or lost heel can scratch and puncture a floor. If you have pets, check their nails on a regular basis.
- Use non-wax flooring cleaner to keep the floor in good condition.
- The use of ammonia is not recommended as it can discolor the bamboo also it is very harsh on finishes. Use of vinegar is not recommended. It is an acid that can etch the finish and create a dull look. Use of any oil soap product is not recommended as it usually leaves a residue that can be sticky and difficult to remove as well as attracting dirt.
- The use of silicon products and wax is not recommended.
- Although manufacturers’ finish delays and reduces most of the sun shading phenomenon that causes the bamboo to darken and or lighten over time, your floor needs to be protected from sunlight and intense artificial lighting to reduce discoloration of exposed bamboo. This phenomenon with bamboo surfaces is normal and natural.
- Because bamboo floor shrinks and expand with changes in humidity, some control of interior humidity should be in place to minimize the changes. This is part of bamboo floor maintenance.
Preferred environmental conditions: Average temperature: 68F to 72F Average relative humidity: 40% – 60%
Bamboo Maintenance Download